On this page you’ll find everything (and more) that you’ve ever wanted to know about Get Rich Quick’ish but were too afraid to ask.
If you’re looking for more about me, Ty, the author of this blog then when you’re done here go check out my All About Me page, which has more of my personal story.
WHAT IS GET RICH QUICK’ISH?
Get Rich Quick’ish is a personal finance blog written by me, Ty. I’m a GenX marketing professional by day, and a blogger by night. I’m not a financial expert, nor was I professionally trained in the field of personal finance. Rather, this blog is a collection of my experiences, thoughts, and advice about money. I post something new every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.
- Tuesday is usually a positive or motivational related post that’s tied back to money
- Thursday posts are usually focused on money tips, strategies, and ideas
- Sunday is my Camp FIRE post – a roundup of the best personal finance articles on the web from the previous week
So that’s little bit about Get Rich Quick’ish – yeah, I know, the name sounds like a scam. If you’re new around here then you might be wondering if this site is legit or what it is I’m trying to sell. ‘What exactly is Get Rich Quick’ish?’ you might be asking yourself, with one eyebrow raised in skepticism. What’s the scam!?
Sorry to disappoint, but there isn’t one. Simply stated:
Get Rich Quick’ish … it’s what I’m trying to do.
And that’s about the end of it. You’ll find nothing for sale on this blog. I’m not peddling anything. This is just my humble site that I use to chronicle my journey from a hugely negative net worth all the way to financial independence, hopefully in 10 years or less! Here’s what I hope to get from this blog:
- I hope you’ll follow me on this journey by reading my posts and leaving comments
- I hope you’ll learn from my mistakes so that you can avoid them
- I hope you’ll find inspiration to better your own financial situation
- I hope you too will Get Rich Quick’ish!
I should also point out that Get Rich Quickish is the gospel according to Ty. Everything you’ll read on this site is my opinion which has been formed over the years through a collection of things I’ve done, mistakes I’ve made, wins I’ve enjoyed. I’m not a financial expert (my background and work experience is in marketing), so if you’re here looking for a financial whiz that will give you groundbreaking advice on tax or investment strategy, look elsewhere. But if you’re interested in getting a peek behind the curtains into the life of a GenX’er that got a very late start to the personal finance game and is now trying to catch up and get ahead, then you’re definitely in the right place, and I’m very glad that you’re here!
WHAT’S WITH THE BLIMP?
First of all, it’s a zeppelin, not a blimp, and how we came to use it in our branding has a bit of a backstory.
This blog officially flickered to life on January 13, 2016. Here’s what it looked like shortly after we went live:
The first real logo I used was this fancy yellow block with italicized bold Arial font. I used this for about six months in 2016 before I started mocking up new ideas.
Of all my mockups, the one I eventually settled on was a “bee” theme. I admire the industrious nature of the bee. There’s nothing tricky or fancy about them, they just work hard to achieve their goals. I liked the parallels between the bees and personal finance so I decided to run with it the idea. Here’s a hack job I threw together to try and give someone an idea of what I was looking for.
This is what i got back from a designer I hired.
Mmmm, looks delicious! If I were running a foodie blog called Get Rich Quick’ish then this would have been great. But since this is a personal finance blog, this wasn’t great. I was discouraged with the results, chalked up the experience as a loss and was going to write off the cost as a lesson learned. I wrote a single sentence about the cost of this logo design in one of my expense report posts which a fellow personal finance blogger, Mystery Money Man, happened to read. Mystery Money Man happens to be connected to a design firm, BroGoLogo, and he reached out to me with a concept idea for my site which included this zeppelin:
The zeppelin is a vehicle which can get you wherever you need to go in a quick’ish manner, and offers a pretty damn good time along the way. And a zeppelin is unique – besides that one tire company, who else uses a zeppelin in their marketing?! The look had potential and I loved the idea!
I quickly emailed Mystery Money Man to thank him for the concept. We exchanged a few emails and he set up an appointment for me to talk with his design firm so that we could further discuss what I was looking for, and what things I wanted from my logo. Before too long our Get Rich Quick’ish logo and brand was born!
** I can’t tell you what a pleasure it was working with Mystery Money Man and the design company that he’s a part of, BroGoLogo, on this logo and branding project. BroGoLogo was extremely professional, quick to respond to my requests, and produced a quality product. If you are looking for any design or branding work, I highly recommend that you contact BroGoLogo.com – tell them Ty sent you!
The Get Rich Quick’ish Timeline:
Here are some of the major milestones this blog has experienced in it’s short history.
- April 8 – I was interviewed by Enwealthen.com as part of their Financial Literacy Chronicles series to celebrate Financial Literacy Month; here’s the interview.
- April 3 – My post How To Calculate The True Retirement Cost of Anything was picked up and featured by Rockstar Finance
- February 20 – Was quoted in the Debt.ca article 10 Personal Finance Bloggers Share Their Best Money Advice
- February 20 – How Our Family of Six Is Thriving On A Single Income was Featured on Rockstar Finance
- January 27 – I was a guest on The Stacking Benjamins Podcast. Check out the episode right here.
- January 22 – I launched the Sunday Camp FIRE – a roundup of the best personal finance posts on the web from the previous week.
- November 19 – Updated the site’s look and feel with the zeppelin logo you see today
- October 24 – Activated a YouTube page.
- October 3 – Migrated this site from Blogger to WordPress (what a colossal PITA – if you’re going to blog, do it correctly from the start)
- September 21-24 – I attended my first FinCon, a conference for finance bloggers…yeah, that’s a thing #nerd!
- September 21 – Interviewed by PennyHorder because of my post on LifeInsurance: Okay, I’m Ready to Die. (note to self: write a lessons learned post on this)
- June 6 – Reluctantly joined Pinterest and Facebook. Would be about 4 months before I actually did anything with either site
- May 16 – Pulled off the RockstarFinance hat trick when Note to Self: Money Is Just Stuff and Stuff Doesn’t Matter post was featured
- April 8 – Featured on RockstarFinance.com again with my Why Everything You Own is Garbage blog post (my most viewed post to-date)
- February 24 – I switched to my current name, GetRichQuickish.net
- February 4 – My How Much Do I Need to be Rich? post was featured on RockstarFinance.com. This was a HUGE boon to my confidence re-motivated me to keep blogging away
- January 15 – Sent my first Tweet to my audience of nobody. If a tree falls in the woods…..
- January 13 – This blog first flickered to life on the interwebs under the domain name HowDoIGetRichQuick.com