I started this blog on January 13, 2016 for a handful of reasons; one of them is to make money. I want this site to generate enough income to replace my full time job!
Is that a pipe dream? Maybe. But it’s not impossible either. There are a lot of bloggers that make serious cash doing this and if they can do it, why can’t I? Why can’t you?
Guess what? We CAN – but only if we try!
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky
You can’t win if you don’t play, right? Well the good news is that it takes less than an hour to create a blog and start playing, which means that one hour from now you can either be the proud owner of the Internet’s latest blog, or you can be doing the same thing your doing right now. It’s up to you.
HOW TO CREATE A WORDPRESS BLOG IN 4 STEPS
- Pick a host & register an account with them (10-20 minutes)
- Choose and purchase a domain name (10-20 minutes)
- Install WordPress through your host (10-20 minutes)
- Start blogging
1. WHAT IS A HOST?
I only recommend products and services that I have personally used, or am currently using. Get Rich Quick’ish uses SiteGround for our hosting, so that’s why I’m recommending them to you. Specifically, I recommend you select SiteGround’s StartUp hosting package for $3.95 per month. This is the perfect plan for someone that is just launching a blog and has plans to grow it.
$3.95 is a promotion price with a HUGE 60% discount, so I also recommend that you prepay for three years up front (that’s the longest time period that you can buy in advance). Prepaying will lock in the promo price and 60% discount for the maximum amount of time.
2. WHAT IS A DOMAIN NAME?
When choosing your domain name, keep a few things in mind:
- Keep it short and memorable (nobody want to type out a loooong URL)
- It should be easy to spell (have you ever visited chrysanthemum.com? Didn’t think so)
- It should be related to the topic that you’re blogging about
3. HOW TO INSTALL WORD PRESS
Here’s how it looks:
- Login to your SiteGround account
- Click on the ‘My Accounts’ tab
- Click on ‘Go to cPanel’ button under the My Accounts tab
- Click on the WordPress icon under the ‘AutoInstallers’ section
- Click ‘Install’
- Follow the installation process (this is where you’ll create a username and password for WordPress. If you registered your domain name through SiteGround, all of the technical configuration will be taken care of automatically)
4. HOW TO START BLOGGING
- Make sure that you like to write. Blogging = writing. If you don’t like to write, you won’t like to blog.
- If you’re not a good writer, don’t worry about it. Like any skill, you’ll get better with with practice.
- Pick a topic that you’re passionate about and write about that. If you HATE personal finance and budgets, then don’t write about personal finance and budgets!
- Write consistently. Pick a schedule, and post something new on those days. For example, many personal finance bloggers post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Give it time! It’s going to take a bit of time to build up your audience – don’t quit before you’ve given your blog a good chance to build some momentum.
- Pace yourself. So many new bloggers hit the ground sprinting, then burn out a few months later. Don’t do that! It takes to time get into your groove, to build your audience. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
GIVE YOUR BLOG TIME
“The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb