Get Rich Quick’ish is officially 7 months old today. I was looking at some numbers yesterday and decided to publish a few stats for no good reason, other than to provide my fellow personal finance bloggers with some type of benchmarking numbers. Hopefully this post will be of some use to you.
My blog went live on January 13, 2016. Since then I’ve published 37 posts (not including this one), and have a total of 35,094 page views (not including my own clicks here). That’s just over 5 posts per month, and an average of 948 views per post.
The most important metric so far is this: revenue > expenses.
That’s right – this little blog is a money making machine! 🙂 Although the money isn’t anything close to significant yet, I hope it will become so one day (more on that below). After all, making money is one of the reasons I blog. (for the record, my ‘Why I blog’ post is the dog of this site with only 154 clicks).
Here’s a look at my top 10 traffic driving posts.
|Top 10 blog posts by traffic volume|
Not included in this image are page views on actual pages; my most visited pages are
- All About Me – 1,199 views
- My Net Worth – 758 views
- How I’m Getting Rich Quick’ish – 625 views. A note about this page. This is where I’ve got some affiliate links from CJ and Amazon. As you can see in the table below, these affiliate links have generated a whopping zero dollars to-date. I clearly need to work on my affiliate game.
And just for fun, here are a few other numbers that I’ve been tracking:
|Get Rich Quick’ish Blog Metrics as of 8/12/2016|
A few closing thoughts:
- Blogging is more time consuming than I thought it would be. I have a list of 28 unfinished blog posts that I just can’t seem to find the time to complete. Time spent on this blog comes after time spent with my wife, kids, full time job, and health (nod to Vicki for the health reminder!)
- Posting consistently is important if you want to gain any traction at all. My monthly post totals, which you can see here on my Archive page, are going in the wrong direction. If I ever want this to become a blog with more influence and capable of generating decent revenue, then I need to spend more time on it.
- Twitter is like life support if you can’t blog frequently. Although I don’t have time to write, edit, format, and post new articles as often as I’d like, I can find 5 minutes here an there to stay engaged with the PF community via Twitter. That alone keeps some readers coming back and drives a bit of traffic to my site. Thanks PF community – you guys and gals rock!
- The FIRE community is awesome. I knew this going in, but the PF blogging community is so genuinely nice and helpful. If you are interested at all in starting a blog, don’t hesitate. Just do it.
- Making money from a blog is possible, but won’t happen quickly, maybe not even quick’ish for most of us, but it is possible. I’ve made just over $30 bucks from advertising revenue. That means I’m pulling in roughly $0.50 per hour from this site. If you’re going to start blogging, I hope you have reasons for doing so other than making a quick buck because that just isn’t going to happen for the vast majority of bloggers.
Again, hopefully some of this will be useful, if not interesting, to you. I’ll probably do a post like this about twice per year. If there’s anything you’d like to see, just let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll be sure to update this post and incorporate that into future posts.
Thanks for reading!