Starting a blog is not complicated or time consuming. In fact, if you follow these five steps you can create a WordPress blog in less than an hour. Here’s how you do it:
Table of Contents
HOW TO CREATE A WORDPRESS BLOG IN 5 STEPS
- Pick a host & register an account with them (10-20 minutes)
- Choose and purchase a domain name (10-20 minutes)
- Install WordPress through your host (10-20 minutes)
- Start blogging
- Give it time
1. WHAT IS A HOST?
I only recommend products and services that I have personally used, or am currently using. Get Rich Quick’ish uses SiteGround for our hosting, so that’s why I’m recommending them to you.
SiteGround has a great reputation. The are fast. They are safe. They have amazing customer service. Really, I can recommend them without hesitation.
Specifically, I recommend you select SiteGround’s StartUp hosting package for $3.95 per month. This is the perfect plan for someone that is just launching a blog and has plans to grow it.
$3.95 is a promotion price with a HUGE 60% discount, so I also recommend that you prepay for three years up front (that’s the longest time period that you can buy in advance). Prepaying will lock in the promo price and 60% discount for the maximum amount of time.
2. WHAT IS A DOMAIN NAME?
When choosing your domain name, keep a few things in mind:
- Keep it short and memorable (nobody want to type out a loooong URL)
- It should be easy to spell (have you ever visited chrysanthemum.com? Didn’t think so)
- It should be related to the topic that you’re blogging about
3. HOW TO INSTALL WORD PRESS
Here’s how it looks:
- Login to your SiteGround account
- Click on the ‘My Accounts’ tab
- Click on ‘Go to cPanel’ button under the My Accounts tab
- Click on the WordPress icon under the ‘AutoInstallers’ section
- Click ‘Install’
- Follow the installation process (this is where you’ll create a username and password for WordPress. If you registered your domain name through SiteGround, all of the technical configuration will be taken care of automatically)
4. HOW TO START BLOGGING
- Make sure that you like to write. Blogging = writing. If you don’t like to write, you won’t like to blog.
- If you’re not a good writer, don’t worry about it. Like any skill, you’ll get better with with practice.
- Pick a topic that you’re passionate about and write about that. If you HATE personal finance and budgets, then don’t write about personal finance and budgets!
- Write consistently. Pick a schedule, and post something new on those days. For example, many personal finance bloggers post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Give it time! It’s going to take a bit of time to build up your audience – don’t quit before you’ve given your blog a good chance to build some momentum.
- Pace yourself. So many new bloggers hit the ground sprinting, then burn out a few months later. Don’t do that! It takes to time get into your groove, to build your audience. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
5. GIVE YOUR BLOG TIME
“The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb